CircleCI is hiring an Engineering Manager to join and lead our SRE team. We are looking for a manager who is passionate about developing engineers, as well establishing SRE methodologies around production excellence, scalability, observability, and automation. In this role, you will challenge and support our engineers with the individual in mind and focus on helping to build a great culture that values diversity, inclusion, action orientation, and openness!
This is a full-time role in the east coast of North America.
About The Team
The Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) team is an enablement team built to support development teams at CircleCI in making their services scalable, reliable, and performant. Their mission is to improve our observability, incident management, and propagate the SRE culture. They rely on driving technical changes that contribute to their mission and establishing the cultural norms that help enable the engineering teams.
What you’ll be doing
The SRE Manager is accountable for ensuring that the team is delivering high-quality services to the business and meeting the organization's uptime and performance targets. This role is a people management position focused on the growth of engineers. Your responsibilities will be people and process - in that order.
- People: Attract, onboard, and retain diverse top talent. Develop people and the team through coaching, mentoring, and management support. Conduct regular 1:1s, goal setting, and feedback conversations with engineers and support them in their career path. Continuously work to improve inclusion and belonging.
- Process and Collaboration: Collaborate with multi-functional teams to identify and prioritize critical systems and services. You will work across all of engineering to implement thoughtful SRE processes and promote SRE standard methodologies and culture. You will be leading continuous iterations on Incident management process and tooling, capacity planning, performance optimization, observability and monitoring in addition to vendor interactions while collaborating with compliance and security teams.
- Your role also includes communicating optimally with senior management and other internal partners to provide regular updates on the team's progress, performance, and risks.
- Technical skill: You should be knowledgeable of SRE practices and main SRE topics focused on reliability, high availability, scalability and observability, such that you can act as arbiter in a technical discussion, or ask good questions of your team as they discuss a technical solution.
Who you are
- People Management: You have proven experience managing, mentoring, training people, including establishing teams and attracting top talent. Bonus points if you have done so in a fast paced and growing startup environment
- Remote Work: CircleCI is a remote first company and you should have some experience leading and motivating a distributed team.
- Iteration not precision: You do not “boil the ocean” but prefer to deliver solutions incrementally, perhaps with a little bit of experimentation and innovation along the way. Experience with agile methodologies is an asset for this position.
- Learning: You bring action orientation and seek to continuously improve the teams you work with. You excel in a culture centred on open communication, strong feedback, quick experimentation, blamelessness, and embracing failure to learn from it.
- Communication: You believe in open and honest communication and work to cultivate this within the team and organization. You approach everything with an open mind and listen to different perspectives before determining a path forward.
- Technical: You have a good technical background in cloud based infrastructure, distributed systems, container technologies, distributed tracing, incident management and performance optimization. If you don’t have experience in all of these areas, it’s fine! As long as you are willing to learn and continuously improve yourself.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation